Dry mouth isn’t just uncomfortable, it’s detrimental to to your dental health. Saliva washes away bacteria and other decay-causing substances. So if your mouth isn’t producing enough saliva, you are more susceptible to cavities.
Dry mouth is more common in summer, because you tend to perspire more. Your dentists at Summit Dental can suggest products that will help. Schedule your next exam at the location most convenient to you: 201-366-7001 Hackensack or 201-347-1417 Tenafly.
In the meantime, check out our tips for fighting this uncomfortable condition:
- Stay Hydrated – Perhaps the single most important thing you can do is to drink more water. Aim for a daily intake of half an ounce for every pound of your body weight. You can consume part of this amount through foods with high water content, like melons and cucumbers. Cut down on caffeine, which is a diuretic.
- Stop Smoking – There are lots of good reasons to quit smoking. Preventing dry mouth is one of them. Cigarettes and other tobacco products should both be eliminated, as they dry out your mouth.
- Check Your Medications – Many common medications can aggravate dry mouth, including muscle relaxants, antihistamines, decongestants, and antidepressants. You may want to review your medications with your physician. It’s possible they can suggest a substitution that won’t be as problematic.
- Add a Humidifier to Your Bedtime Routine – Running a humidifier will keep the air moist and keep your mouth – and the rest of you – more comfortable.
- Use Mints or Gum – Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless mints will help increase saliva production. For an added benefit, look for the ingredient xylitol, a sweetener with natural cavity-fighting properties.